June 30 Fun Run, Walk, Bike Event Update
The Regional Transportation Commission (RTC) is holding a pre-grand opening community road preview at the SouthEast Connector with a fun run, bike, and walk event on Saturday, June 30 from 8 a.m. – noon. The event is free and open to the public.
People are encouraged to enter the event from the Sparks Boulevard/Greg Street intersection, the official entry point for this event, but all entrances to the road will be open to event-goers, including the Pembroke Drive/Veterans Parkway intersection, the Mira Loma Drive/Veterans Parkway intersection, and the South Meadows Parkway/Veterans Parkway intersection. Community partners with locations near the SouthEast Connector will join the RTC near the Greg Street/Sparks Boulevard entrance.
The southbound lanes and the multi-use path will be open for the public for running, biking and walking. The northbound lanes will be reserved for shuttle service only – no foot traffic will be allowed for safety. The road remains closed to vehicle traffic at this time, but people who want to see the road by vehicle before it opens can use RTC’s shuttle service on its new, all-electric bus.
Weather that day is expected to be in the 90s, so the RTC is encouraging people to bring water, dress for warm weather, wear sunscreen and hats or bring an umbrella for shade. The road is 5.5 miles long, and people will be permitted to walk, run or bike as far as they prefer, and can turn around at any point. Shuttle pick-up stations will be set up along the SouthEast Connector corridor for people who would like a ride back.
RTC shuttle service will run the length of the SouthEast Connector from 8 a.m. – noon, making stops along the way at each intersection so people can get on and off. The shuttle will also stop at parking locations at the Outlets at Legends and at Depoali Middle School.
Parking Areas and Park & Walk Locations:
- The Outlets at Legends (RTC shuttle service). Park in the lots behind SCHEELS near Olive Garden. Shuttle stop will be the existing blue bus stop number 1999 directly across the street from Olive Garden on George Ferris Drive.
- Depoali Middle School at 9300 Wilbur May Parkway in Reno (RTC shuttle service)
- Parking lot located adjacent to the southeast corner of the SouthEast Connector at Greg St./Sparks Blvd. intersection, across the street from the Alamo (park & walk) This parking lot closes at noon.
- Hidden Valley Elementary at 2115 Alphabet Dr. in Reno (park & walk)
- Rosewood Lakes Golf Course parking lot at 6800 Pembroke Drive (park & walk). This parking lot closes at noon.
Due to parking limitations, the RTC encourages people to carpool, ride their bikes to the event, and to arrive early when the event opens.